Learning for Sustainability at St Andrew’s is an approach to creating coherent, rewarding and transformative learning experiences. It’s all about our learners and staff (and our wider community) building a socially-just, sustainable and equitable society. It supports an effective whole-school and community approach by weaving together global citizenship, sustainable development education, and learning beyond the classroom.
‘Learning for Sustainability is about our commitment to understand and serve our community both local and global. It is in this way that we live our values and contribute to the common good’
We are working hard to pull of our work to protect our common home together and renew our Green Flag! We of course have our targets in our School Improvement Plan but our work here gives much more detail.
The first thing we did was an Environmental Review to find out what was going well and where we could improve. The Green House (responsible for our Eco Award) created an Action Plan and we have been working on that over the past year.
OUR PROGRESS SO FAR:
Our Eco Code: Our actions, both as individuals and as a community, should protect our common home to ensure it is nurtured and flourishes.
ACTION 1: TRANSPORT
- we worked with local councillors and parents to create a new travel plan
- we started Fridaybikies to encourage cycling to school
- where possible we started cycling and walking for school trips
- we got a grant and had a huge bike parking unit installed along with an air pump
- we got new bikes to ensure of bike fleet was robust and everything was working
- we had 7 teachers trained as cycle leaders so that we could arrange led cycles
ACTION 2: HEALTH AND WELLBEING
- we ensured all pupils had access to free sports after school by working with our partners
- we completely changed the ways in which we access the outdoors and in August 2021 became the first school in Scotland to be recognised as demonstrating excellence in Learning Beyond the Classroom
- we have a new Anti Bullying and Discrimination Procedure
ACTION 3: LITTER AND WASTE
- we now proudly run a completely paper free office
- we are a recognised Plastic Free School
- all of our pupils understand and employ the 7 Principles of Leave No Trace
- all pupil and staff uniforms are Fairtrade